- 6:50 - Students are permitted to enter campus. All students go to the cafeteria
- 7:10 - Students are permitted to go to their supervised morning hallway
- 7:20 - FIRST BELL - Students enter the classroom ready to learn
- 7:30 - TARDY BELL - Students must be in class
Per School Board of Highlands County Policy, Students will be counted tardy at 7:30 a.m. if not present in their classroom.
Excessive late arrival will be considered an UNEXCUSED ABSENCE. Please refer to the School Board of Highlands County Student Progression Plan for more specific information.
Please make sure your child arrives at school on time, as being tardy impacts valuable learning time. Your continued support is appreciated!
Students are expected to attend class regularly and to be on time in order to benefit the most from the instructional program. Any student who is absent will be expected to make up all work missed. Grades will be recorded when appropriate. It is the responsibility of the student and his/her parent to arrange for the makeup work with each teacher involved after the student’s return to class. It is the teacher’s responsibility to provide and accept assignments within a time frame prescribed by the principal, not to exceed two weeks.
In compliance with Florida School Laws, The School Board of Highlands County recognizes excused absences as those resulting from:
- Personal illness of the pupil (medical evidence may be required by the principal);
- Court appearance of the pupil (summons required);
- Medical appointment of the pupil (a medical statement may be required);
- Religious holiday;
- Death in the immediate family;
- Approved school activity (absences recorded but not reported);
- Attendance at a center under Health and Rehabilitative Service supervision;
- Insurmountable problems (permission by principal may be required).
Written notice stating the reason for the student’s absence must be presented to school personnel. Absences not documented in writing by the parent/guardian and not included in the excuses listed above shall be UNEXCUSED. If a student is continuously sick and repeatedly absent from school, the student must be under the supervision of a physician in order to receive an excuse from attendance.
Pre-Arranged Absence Policy:
The purpose of a pre-arranged absence is to allow absences for reasons normally unexcused. Pre-arranged absence forms (MIS 01.12) are available in the school office and one should be submitted as far in advance as possible, but not less than three days prior to the requested date. Students must present a signed pre-arranged absence form to the principal or designee. During the initial review, an administrator/designee will consider the student’s attendance, grades, and discipline. Upon initial review, the form will be returned to the student to obtain teachers’ signatures, and comments/assignments (secondary schools only). Once teachers’ signatures are obtained, it will be resubmitted to the administrator/designee for final approval or disapproval. Students are responsible for turning in assigned work within reasonable amount of time. No pre-arranged absences will be granted during FSA/high-stakes testing.